Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In Memory of Joseph Platte Callister

This last week Jake put together a Joseph Platte Callister trip. We drove to places that he visited and lived. It was a hard journey for those pioneers, I respect them for taking the calling. We all thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and learned much!

We drove to Lake Powell and took the Fairy across. I did not even know you could do such a thing. We are guessing they probably took their wagons across in a nearby spot.

On the other side we found camp and played in the water. We found cliff's to jump from and the boys enjoyed painting their bodies with the mud from the bottom of lake.
Bluff: We saw a replica of the cabin of Amasa Lyman and family. They had pictures and some written information, very cool to see.... We saw a video of the Whole in the Rock Expedition. It is crazy to see where they took those wagons. The whole in the rock was straight down and barely fit the wagons.... Caleb is taking the reins on this wagon!.

Jake, Annie and Samantha eating

This is the Platte Lyman house

This is just outside of Monticello. We met up with Keith, Cheryl and their kids. It had been a couple days since our last shower so everyone was pretty excited to jump in!

What's camping if you don't have some yummy dutch oven cookin'

Newspaper Rock...


Our last adventure was Needles.. It was incredible!

Our trip included history excerpts from Jake and many more stops. We were also able to see.... Canyonlands, the LC Ranch, National Bridges, Lake Pagharit, Elk Mountain, the Colorado River and Capital Reef. It truly was 'epic' as said by Annie. It was great to be with family tracing the steps of an ancestor. Thanks for all your work Jake and thanks for the yummy food mom!

6 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

wow. jealous. the water looks so yummy. the landscape breath taking and strangly homey- the company- crazy in the best of ways.
love the top picture of mom. seriously- why don't we have more pictures of her sexy legs. ? um- so i guess i need to call and get the scoop on oyur last interview....

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Thanks for the synopsis Deb, and the kind words. I was so glad that you guys could come along and humor some of the stranger stoops on the trip. I am hoping to put together a little presentation/summary of our trip including a lot of the history and stories. Its sort of rough getting back to reality huh?

Von and Maureen said...

Thanks for being the first to report. Love your pictures. It was a great time and the company was fabulous! I loved it!!! We need to be planning the next excursion real soon. Loved that you and Stephen could be there for this one. It was EPIC! :)

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

Shoot, I'm so jealous. But I was having fun too... reading and, uh reading.. okay, I didn't have fun. That looks and sounds like a super good time. Thanks for the report!

Rebekah said...

That really would have been so cool to be a part of!
Fun pictures!!

C & E said...

Deb how did I have no idea you guys have a blog?! I just saw it on Bri and Heather's. We miss you guys so come hang out sometime! You look great and I can't believe you've been in China all summer, so exciting!